Thursday, February 10, 2011

couchsurfing is a reciprocal thing

When a host opens their couch to a surfer nothing is expected in return except respect of them and their property. However the more a surfer offers the more beneficial the experience becomes. It can begin with cultural exchange and good conversation and ends with a thank-you meal or a six pack of beer. It really doesn’t matter I personally never expect anything from my surfers except that they come to my house independently. They clean up after themselves and they interact with me on some level.

I just recently had a French couple staying with me, perhaps my first French in a while. I find it a little hit and miss with the French. There seems to be extremes SUPER AMAZING & Total take advantage of my hospitality. That being said my German guy previous took advantage of me.. So who am I to judge based on what country they are from?

Lucky for me my last French couple fell into the SUPER AMAZING half and I was treated to great company with good food and of course, great wine. The funny thing was I almost passed them up because of their profile. They had no references except two they had written about six months ago to other people. It makes me think that there is something wrong with them. There are a few people on my profile I haven’t left references for because I didn’t like them all too much, so when I see other references not returned I wonder why.

That brings me to another point I FUCKING HATE IT!!!! When you have a mutually good time and they don’t leave a reference in return. Couchsurfing is a RECIPROCAL thing. It depends on a referencing system and being so fucking arrogant and lazy as to not to give one back is just rude. I personally refuse to host people who don’t return the majority of their references. I guess I needed to vent a little there. I don’t care if they have 100000 positive references if they never left any in return they can sleep in a homeless shelter for all I care.

So on my weekend including awesome French couple I also had two Aussie guys from Victoria on their way back from Vietnam, A Highly excitable German couple about to embark on their Australian working holiday, and A German girl studying in Manly, Sydney. Friday night I had also had a Swedish couple & a Canadian girl. Saturday night we played Pictionary which turned out to be a bit interesting when English was not the first language of most of the players and it turned into a few heated arguments about the translation but all in good fun. It was a pretty intense weekend with a lot of people around.

Spent Sunday out at Litchfield with the Aussies & German couple. Was another instense wet season experience with rushing waters and thundering falls. There was a snake in the water at wangi but I couldn’t quite work out what it was. I was pretty tired from the entire weekend though, but we swam for a few hours in Buley Rockhole and the boys entertained themselves jumping off things.

Anyway I will leave you with a great “cheap” recipe. Tastes good, is healthy and won’t break the budget.
SUPER tuna PATTIES
1 can of tuna
½ cup of breadcrumbs
2 eggs
Cup chopped fresh spinach
1 grated carrot
1 onion diced
Teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 fresh lime juice only
Any other spices you like. I’ve thrown some basil in it was good!
Mix everything together then shape into patties voila YUMMY. The patties freeze well and are delicious hot or cold!

No comments: