Sunday, September 4, 2011

Breaking the Language Barrier...

Its no secret my grasp of other languages is laughable, my accent sounds more like fingernails being scraped down a blackboard, do they still have blackboards in classrooms these days?

A friend of mine has made a bet I can't go to Paris and find cool people, not only that I am not allowed to use couchsurfers, or apparently hippies.


So I've taken the challenge as I have faith in myself and my ability to meet random people and end up in random situations. I will always have the parking lot in Toronto where I met Chad & Cam or better yet just recantly in may where I met some strange guys in Monsoons and ended up passed out on a park bench and lets not mention Mexico ok the list could go on.

back to the point Not knowing french in paris could be my downfall of finding awesome Parisans however I have decided all I need to do is learn one phrase in every language perfectly and use it as my opening line. So "What's the time" has worked well for me before & "can you take photos with me so I can pretend I made some friends" then in Mexico where I placed a handful of weed in some guys hand and signalled a joint rolling movement. I am adaptable. But languages are my achilles heel.

and the winning phrase of the hour, destined to break down cultural barriers? Classy enough to entertain the Parisians and get a response from the Turkish. Baffling the Canadians whilst getting a chuckle from the English. Oh yes what is that masterful phrase that translates to every language........

.
....
.....
......








Why did the plane crash?
because the pilot was a tomato






No comments: