Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Leaving Paradise.

If you asked me 10 years ago I would have told you I will be in Darwin forever. If you talked to me four years ago I was thinking about coming back to Darwin but could possibly immigrate to USA. If you had talked to me 3 months ago I was moving to North QLD by June.

Its no secret I'm a Darwin girl. I was born to thrive in the climate. I love a permanent summer, I am enamoured with all the slippery crawling croaking animals that surround me. When the big storms come so does the smile on my face. I am all about it taking five minutes to get anywhere. I love getting out to the bush.

Im a bogan aussie and I really wouldn't have it any other way. I'd rather chill and have a beer at the pub in singlet & thongs than get dressed up and head out to a fancy dinner.

But I'm a little complacent in this town and now I'm not sure where I want to go. My life has been crawling for the last year. I've watched the people around me fall in love, get married, buy houses and I still have no idea what my plans are. My bank asked me about my long term goals yesterday and I couldn't think of anything.

My contemplation for moving to a new town has been playing in my mind since NYE which even ended with me applying for jobs elsewhere. Than my work decided they would pay for my uni. I also decided I needed to pay off my car loan as soon as possible & moving could put a damper on my savings. With three jobs, uni, my activism & volunteering its no wonder I haven't moved forward. All I do is work & save but I'm not sure what I'm saving for.

But if I was going to move where would I go? Where does a small town girl end up? Will moving to another small town just put me in exactly the same position. But how does a small-town girl move to a city? I get mad at the 2 minute extra time it takes me to get to work in the mornings because of traffic.

Darwin is one of the most beautiful cities in Australia and I love opening peoples eyes to it. I wonder if I could feel the same love for any other place. Anyway with uni it looks like I am here for another year & a half anyway so might as well enjoy it! So to meet the best host in Darwin you still have at least a year :P What are you waiting for?

No comments: